E. Henriksen was born in San Francisco on April 19, 1851 to
a Norwegian father, Benjamin, and a German mother, Henrietta.
Best known for patenting an Automatic Safety Clutch for elevators
in 1880, he was also a well-respected Victorian architect,
designing many beautiful Victorians around San Francisco.
His residential work can be seen in the ornate Victorians
at 1900 Webster and 1804 Broadway. Henriksen also entered
architecture competitions and won several prizes for building
the Scandinavian Association, the Red Men’s Hall and
the Girls’ High School.
He grew up at 328 Kearny, a few blocks away
from 702 Washington Street, where respected French architect
Prosper Huerne had an office. Henriksen became partners with
Huerne in 1875, and worked with him until opening his own
practice in 1881. Ten years later he became partners with
William C. Mahoney and formed Henriksen and Mahoney. It was
in this partnership in 1893 that Henriksen was contracted
by the City of San Francisco to build three firehouses.