Museum of the City of San Francisco
By Subject
By Year
The Gift Shop

Demolition of the block bounded by Second, Stillman, Third and Perry streets, in mid-July 1935. This view shows Second Street, from Stillman (right) to Perry. The George W. Caswell coffee warehouse is nearly demolished to make way for the Bay Bridge viaduct.

The viaduct ripped out six blocks of San Francisco's South of Market district, in the area now called Multimedia Gulch.

Though many of the buildings appear old, all were built following the 1906 earthquake 29 years earlier. The Schmidt Lithography Co. clock tower still stands, though remodeled, on Second Street.

Stillman Street was named Silver Street before the Great Earthquake and Fire, and this block was the home of the first free kindergarten on the West Coast, established by Kate Douglas Wiggin.

Go to the bridge construction portfolios,